Sunday, July 12, 2009

Weekend at Peace House

We went out to dinner at my new favorite restaraunt on Friday night. It's called Khan's Barbeque. This Indian guy named Khan runs an auto-repair shop out of his store front by day, and at 6pm every night (even holidays he told us) he starts up his grill on the street and his shop turns into a BBQ joint. It was delicious! He had a sort of salad bar with spicy sauces and some veggies. Then he brought us huge plates of fries, bread, Zanzibar pizza, beef, mutton and chicken. I was so happy to eat meat! We eat beans almost everyday at Peace House. Khan's motto was "Chicken on the Bonnet" (as in hood of a car) so the next time we go there we are going to propose the idea that he should actually stick his grill in the hood of a car. Pretty sweet, huh?

Saturday was pretty relaxing until Bryna drug me out for an intense run. We ran outside the school's property and had a great view of Kilimanjaro. That night we all played a hilarious game of cherades.

On Sunday morning I ate my cereal on our porch and listened to the students worshiping in the dining hall. It was beautiful. Until we heard girls let out bloodcurling screams from outside the hall. I seriously thought that someone was in mortifying pain. Soon after Bryna and I walked down to try to use the internet and one of the teachers had taken 4 girls to the campus gazebo and was yelling/ preaching to them (in Swahili so I didn't understand what was going on). Every girl was individually pulled aside by the teacher and would start screaming after he was yelling at them. From where we were standing we couldn't tell if this man was choking the girls or if he just had his hands on their heads. Soon after, we found out that this is the way the students renounce their demons. I really hope that they got all of their demons out today, because I never want to hear those haunting screams again.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa! What a Church experience. Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. That BBQ sounds awesome...totally something that would be on the food network take a picture of the food next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Cara! Sorry it's taken me so long to write. I've been trying to reach Sena for days since I couldn't find you on Facebook! Anyway, this is better! I'm loving your stories. I'll be interested to hear your water/coffee research since we saw them roasting the beans and making their own coffee in one of the villages, too. We're going to FL tomorrow to visit Sam. I'll send him your best from Tanzania! Warmest regards, Lisa

    ReplyDelete