Thursday, July 16, 2009

Finally- a research project!

One word- HUMANURE. It will save us all.

On Monday we visited an orphanage-in-progress that is run by an Australian NGO called "Food, Water, Shelter." It is located outside of town in a small village and it was probably one of the best days of my life as a student. Why? Becasue I learned about an awesome composting latrine design and got to use one that is similar to what I have been dreaming about for the past 2.5 years...

Most of the buildings on the orphanage site are almost complete, and they hope to start moving orphans in sometime in August. The design about every aspect of this place is completely sustainable and green design. Their excellent features included: 45 rainwater storage tanks under the buildings to collect the water from the roof. The overflow from these tanks runs into a man-made aquifer for extra storage. They have fishponds that are full of tilapia (used for eating) and the water from the ponds can be pumped onto the garden, which is rot a tilled by placing a chicken coop over the bed after the veggies have been harvested. The chicken's feet aerate the soil and work their poop in as fertilizer. Food, Water, Shelter will produce biogas for cooking fuel with the dung from their cattle. But the coolest feature was of course their composting latrines! There are 16 holes in the toilet block and each hole leads to its own black collection tank. A number of different sized mesh in the tank will catch solids and allow urine to seep out into banana circles (compost piles). Sawdust is added after every use. Once the tank is full it is moved aside to sit for 6 months. The right high temp. has to be obtained for bacteria to die. Apparently the manure they get from this is excellent for their crops!

On Tuesday I played rugby with the school team, it was my first time playing. I had no idea what was going on and spent most of practice trying to figure out the rules. I definitely like soccer better. Hopefully today I can practice with the team- if I can keep up. These kids are wicked fast!

The group has finally tired of eating ugali, rice and beans. So we have decided that every once and awhile each house will cook for the other house. Last night the guys house made delicious spaghetti and us girls brought over dessert. Patty made pineapple tarts and Kat and I made a chocolate cake with icing- so good!

I finally have my research project. Drumroll please... "Wastewater treatment at Peace House Secondary School; appropriate plants for wastewater treatment in Northern Tanzania." It sounds just like the title. I will studying the wastewater treatment system here at the school and hopefully getting the students involved in helping me collect data. I'm going to start taking measurements of the system this afternoon because tomorrow, Friday, we are leaving to spend the weekend on Safari! Hopefully when we get back I can post pictures of the BIG 5- hippo, lion, cheetah, buffalo and rhino!

No comments:

Post a Comment